God birthed the vision for Overcomers Church in my heart long before our first service on January 29. So much has yet to come to fruition. I know that the vision God put within me is one that goes against the grain, especially in a rural county where racism is still stronger than people want to admit. However, I am not giving up on the dream and vision of a multi-ethnic church in Oconee County, South Carolina. I am not giving up the reality of a faith community that is known for its love – a place where ANYONE (no matter their past) can begin anew and experience love not judgment. I am still crazy enough to believe it. We are coming up on 1 year, but I want to cast this vision to my WordPress audience and all who read via my social media links.
I know my weaknesses. I cannot have a faith community full of people just like me. My passion is discipleship. I am weaker in outreach. I need someone strong in outreach. I need people who are passionate self-starters who will take their area of ministry and run with it. Will this dream team be paid? I’m not even paid right now. This is going to be a multi-ethnic team that demonstrates the body of Christ functioning as it should. Here is what I envision for the dream team of Overcomers to look like.
- A worship leader who knows how to help people experience God’s presence through multiple genres of worship music. I honestly would love to have an African-American worship leader, but I will in no way limit God. This person could be Hispanic or Asian. To be the multi-ethnic ministry God wants us to be, our music will reflect that. We want to be expressive and open to God moving in our midst.
- An outreach leader who has a heart for ALL people. This person will know how to minister to addicts (current and recovering). This person will also have a heart for people for all socio-economic backgrounds. Someone who has a heart for those who have suffered abuse, divorce, or any kind of difficulty. No ministry will be too dirty for this person who will be creative in guiding us to all different forms of outreach, helping us to make disciples and see them baptized and growing in their faith.
- Discipleship/small group leaders who know the Bible and are equipped to train others who will also train others and keep the cycle going.
- We are making some steps in the area of first impressions and fellowship, but I can’t wait to see us do more.
- Men and women who are called to work with our children and youth. We have such a good number under the age of 18, and I don’t want to miss the opportunity.
- People who are able to work with technology and help us develop an online presence with our messages.
I believe with all my heart that there are men and women with a calling to help a new faith community get off the ground. These men and women may have served in another church and are burned out because of church politics and the nonsense that often goes on that Jesus has no part of. I also believe that God will draw people to make some kind of contribution, whether it be monetarily, equipment that we need, or prayer. Many have been praying for us, and you don’t know how much that means to me.
Overcomers has just begun, and we have a big vision. This will require more people to do this Kingdom work. For all I know, God Could call someone to move from where they live to help. Will you join us?
Overcomers is an extension of the DLMK initiative. We are available to minister to you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Overcomers does not just exist for the northwest corner of South Carolina. We exist because the world needs hope, and that hope is Jesus! Email us at email@example.com or find us on Facebook or Twitter @overcomerssc.